To Register To Vote You Must:

  1. Be a U.S. Citizen.
  2. Be 18 years old by December 31 of the year in which you register and you must be 18 years old by the date of the general, primary or other election in which you want to vote. Be a resident of the county for at least 30 days before the election.
  3. Only be registered in one place.
  4. Not be in jail or on parole for a felony conviction. You can obtain a mail registration form by calling 1-800-FOR-VOTE or your County Board of Election. Forms are also available at most government agencies and post offices. Complete the form and mail it to your County Board of Elections. You may also register in person at 7376 State Route 31, Suite 1200, Lyons, NY. NYS Voter Registration Form

Voter’s Rights Concerning Felony Convictions

If you have been convicted of a felony, you can register and vote, unless you are currently incarcerated or on parole. If you are on probation, you can register and vote. If you have been convicted only of a misdemeanor, you can register and vote. You do not need any special documentation to show that you are eligible to vote. Just use the same registration form that everyone else uses.

You Need to Re-Register:

  1. If you move out of the County
  2. If you move within the county
  3. If you change your name
  4. If you change your party enrollment

Where to Vote:

Each year, 65 to 75 days before the General Election, you should receive a mail-check postcard from the Board of Elections verifying your current address. This card also indicates the location of your polling place for the General Election. Wayne County consolidates polling places for every primary. See Polling Sites from the main page. If you have any questions about the information provided, call your County Board of Elections.

Voting Times:

Primary Election: 12 Noon – 9 PM
General Election: 6 AM – 9 PM

Choosing your party enrollment:

Use the standard registration form. *Note: If you are already registered and are filing a change of enrollment, the change will not take effect until after the next November General Election.(according to NYS Election Law)

Voting in a Primary Election:

You must be enrolled in a recognized party (i.e., Democratic, Republican, Conservative, Working Families, Independence, or Green) and there must be a primary in the party in which you are enrolled.

Write-In a Candidate when Voting:

If you ask, an inspector will show you on the sample ballot displayed in your polling place and how to cast a write-in vote. If you write in the name of someone already appearing on the ballot, for that office, your vote for that person will not be counted.

Obtaining help at the polls due to a disability:

A voter with a disability may have the assistance of anyone of their choice, so long as the person providing the assistance is not the voter’s employer or union agent. Anyone assisting a voter must take an oath administered by the inspectors of elections. If the voter requests assistance from the inspectors at the polling place, one from each of the two parties represented there will help.

Keeping Votes Confidential:

Your vote is protected through a system of mechanical and administrative safeguards. When a voting machine is opened, election officials have no way of knowing who voted for which candidate. The ballot stub number cannot be tracked, this number is not on the ballot itself. By law, we have to account for every ballot assigned to an election district. This makes it possible to keep an exact record of the number of votes cast on the machine.

Absentee Ballots:

If you will be absent from your county on election day because of your occupation, business, vacation or studies, or health issues, you can request an absentee ballot application and vote by absentee ballot in any primary, special or general election. The application may be obtained from any Board of Elections. If you are calling or applying by mail, you must do so at least seven days before the election. If you are applying in person, you may do so up to and including the day before the election. You may also vote by absentee ballot if you are ill or have a physical disability. Persons who are permanently ill or disabled may receive absentee ballots for all future elections by filing only one application indicating your illness or disability. You will then be sent an absentee ballot for every primary, special or general election for which you qualify for as a voter. Our office requires an absentee application (original copy, fax or email not accepted) on file before issuing the absentee ballot.

Click on the following to print an absentee ballot application:

New York State Board of Elections

40 North Pearl, Suite 5
Albany, NY 12207-2109

Add Comment