DSS continues to be open to respond to immediate needs and requests for assistance.
The 2020-2021 HEAP season will begin on Monday (11/2/20). There are several options for submitting applications to the Wayne County Department of Social Services:
- Households can apply online at: mybenefits.ny.gov
- An application can be mailed to you by contacting our office at (315)946-4881
- If you have an application, you can use the dropbox in front of our office at 77 Water Street, Lyons, NY 14489
- You can apply in person at our agency. Applications are accepted Monday – Friday 9 AM – 5 PM
*If you are in receipt of Temporary Assistance or SNAP benefits, please contact your worker to see if you have received a HEAP benefit.*
Please note: due to COVID-19 restrictions, only a limited number of individuals will be permitted to be in our waiting room at any given time. If you would like to apply in person and have a face-to-face interview, you may be asked to wait in your car and receive a phone call when there is room available in our waiting room.
Please note: ALL persons reporting to the DSS building will be required to have their temperature taken in order to enter the building. No person who registers a temp at or above 100.4 will be allowed to enter. However, for Clients who present with a fever and are not allowed to enter, we will have a system in place to follow up with them to assure their needs are met. Also, we will close our facility to the general public from noon-1:00 pm each weekday in order to sanitize our waiting areas and interview rooms, so that we can help keep visitors safe.
To help meet the needs of our community:
- We have installed a secure lock box at the main entrance to our facility so that applicants or active recipients can drop off essential documentation.
- We will check this drop box regularly to assure that your documents and your case receive prompt attention.
- We are providing special instructions for the types of assistance you may need due to the current State of Emergency: DSS Special Instructions
- Additionally, applications for assistance can be submitted by email to the following firstname.lastname@example.org
- Persons with general questions or questions regarding their case are encouraged to contact the agency at 315.946.4881.
Thank you for your patience.
Special SNAP benefit allocations are being provided during April. More details can be found here: SNAP-Covid-19.
To apply for SNAP online, please visit: www.mybenefits.ny.gov
The Mission of the Wayne County Department of Social Services is:
TO SERVE the Wayne County community with dignity, empathy and efficiency
TO RESPOND to those with financial needs while promoting their self-sufficiency
TO ENSURE the safety and healthy development of children and vulnerable adults
TO SUSTAIN family relationships through support and recognition of families’ resiliency, inherent strengths and capacity to change
TO PARTNER with our community to meet present and future needs of our residents
Ellen Wayne Ed.D.
Commissioner Of Social Service
77 Water St.
P.O. Box 10
Lyons, NY 14489
Hours of Operation:
8:30 AM – 5:00 PM
After Hours Emergency:
(Food & Shelter)
Wayne County Sheriff’s Office