- Being arrested for or charged with a crime is a frightening experience whether or not the charges are true or false.
Should you be accused of a crime, you should do ONLY the following:
- 1. Contact your own attorney immediately, if you have one.
2. If you cannot afford a lawyer, immediately ask for the Public Defender BEFORE you discuss anything about the matter you are being charged with.
3. Do NOT talk about anything with anyone other than your lawyer.
4. Remember that when you are accused of a crime, you should cooperate physically with the police but you should speak ONLY to an attorney.