Two Ways in 2021 to KICKSTART your new business TODAY!
The Wayne County Startup Pitch Competition and
the Microburst Grant-Loan Program
These two programs are available to Wayne County residents with Wayne County businesses.
The KickStart initiative aims to foster entrepreneurship among our residents. Applicants can apply for either of these programs but not at the same time.
TWO STARTUP PROGRAMS
1. Our 3rd Annual Wayne County Startup Pitch Competition is seeking applicants for this year’s competition. The competition is open to all Wayne County residents who have a new business (less than three years old), a new business idea, or are in the concept stage of developing a business in Wayne County. The Winner will receive a $25,000 award to kick start their new business.
Pitch applicants must review and adhere to these following items:
• Startup Pitch Eligibility Guidelines & Application Instructions
• Registration Form to be submitted as part of application along with other required documents. (link to form attached)
• Attend one of the free SCORE business education workshops listed below under Resources.
• Meet the Deadline to apply for the Startup Pitch competition on Tuesday, September 21, 2021 at 4pm.
• Include a non-refundable application fee of $50.00.
2. New in 2021 is the Wayne County Microburst Program which is another opportunity to give your new business a financial boost. It was created to provide a grant and a matching loan for local small business startup projects. Every application will be reviewed for completeness and sustainability by staff and a loan review committee. The combined loan and grant funding can range from $10,000 to $40,000.
Microburst applicants must review and adhere to these following items:
• Microburst FAQ
• WEDC Mircroburst Application submitted with other required documents.
• Attend ALL 5 of the free SCORE business education workshops listed below under Resources.
• Meet the Deadline to apply for the Microburt Program on Wednesday, December 1, 2021 at 4pm.
• Include a non-refundable application fee of $250.00.
RESOURCES FROM OUR PARTNERS
SCORE Workshops via Zoom: The following five dates are confirmed for these SCORE workshops. Registration and Time of workshop is not available yet. Microburst applicants must attend all five workshops. Pitch competition applicants must attend at least one. If you would like notification when registration is open, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Week 1: Tuesday, August 10 – Introduction/Expectations, SBA and Business Model Canvas
Week 2: Tuesday, August 17 – Sales and Marketing
Week 3: Tuesday, August 24 – Insurance & Banking
Week 4: Tuesday, August 31 – Accounting
Week 5: Tuesday, September 7 – Legal
For more information on SCORE mentoring go to https://greaterrochester.score.org/
The New York Small Business Development Center (NYSBDC) provides small business owners and entrepreneurs in New York with one-to-one business counseling, training, and business research. All advisement is free and confidential. For more information go to http://www.nyssbdc.org/ and start by making an appointment with a Certified Business Advisor.
HOW TO APPLY FOR ONE OF THESE PROGRAMS
Complete the required application for the program linked above, and include required documents, required SCORE workshops, plus the application fee (payable to WEDC). Payment must be sent by mail or hand-delivered to the address shown here before the deadline.
Mail or Deliver Applications & Documents to:
Wayne Economic Development Corporation
Attn: Katie Bronson
9 Pearl Street, 2nd Floor
Lyons, NY 14489
If you intend to email the application and documents, all attached file types must be in PDF format under 36MB total and labeled with your business name.
Once an application is received, it will be reviewed for completeness. You will be notified that it was received and if any information is missing. Please refer to FAQ or Instruction documents for further details. Applications do take time to review, so we ask for your patience while we carefully go through this process. Thank you in advance for your interest in Kick Starting your business in Wayne County.