Small Business Kick Start
There are a variety of programs available to Wayne County residents and Wayne County businesses who are in the early planning or start up stages of their business endeavor. The KickStart initiative aims to foster entrepreneurship and new business start ups in a variety of business sectors. We celebrate entrepreneurs who are putting their talents and ideas to work for them.
Annual Pitch Competitions 2022
1. NEW STUDENT PITCH COMPETITION:
This year we are inviting teams or individual Wayne County students to present their business ideas in the form of a 5-min video pitch. Projects will highlight new business ideas, product concepts, or service-oriented endeavors. Through the process of applying, students will learn the basics of developing a good business plan, performing relevant market research, and delivering a "pitch" speech to potential investors. The winners will be chosen by judges from the local business and education community. Multiple cash prizes awarded (grand prize $1,250) including the project that is most transformative for Wayne County. Winner announcements will be made at the adult live "pitch" competition in November of 2022.
Students must submit an executive summary of the business plan, financial projections and a video pitch to be part of the first annual Student Pitch Competition. Read Eligibility and Submission Guidelines for instructions.
- Student Pitch Competition Eligibility & Submission Guidelines
- Student Pitch Competition Cover Page
- Submission Deadline is October 14, 2022.
WHO: Available for students who will be in grade 9 through grade 12 by October 2022 (22-23 school year). Student must be a resident of Wayne County or enrolled in a Wayne County school district. Student can be enrolled in public, private or home school.
WHAT: Develop a business, product or service concept into a deliverable business plan including some financial projections, then video tape your team pitching the business.
WHEN: Start preparing now. Deadline for submissions will be October 14, 2022. No fee to participate.
WHERE: Video submissions will be evaluated privately. Winners will be contacted and videos will be presented to the public at the Live "Pitch" competition in November.
If you have any questions about Student Pitch application, contact Deb Hall at 315-946-5919.
RESOURCES FOR MENTORS AND STUDENTS
- YE (Youth Entrepreneurs) Academy https://yeacademy.org/
- Yea! Business Model Canvas https://yeacademy.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/BusinessModelCanvas_TeachersGuide_v2.pdf
- How to Write an Executive Summary
- Financial Projection Excel Sheet (Please use this for your submission.)
- Presentation Overview
2. ADULT PITCH COMPETITION:
This competition is open to all Wayne County residents who have a new business (less than three years old), a new business idea, or are in the concept stage of developing a business in Wayne County. The Winner will receive a cash award to kick start their new business.
Hear what past winners have to say: (click on photo to see video).
- 2021 winner, Sodus Bay Outfitters, received $25,000.
- 2020 winner, Agri-trak received $32,000 and
- 2019 winner, Load Alone, received $40,000.
Adult Pitch applicants must review and adhere to these following items. Terms and conditions could change.
- 2022 Adult Application
- 2022 Adult Pitch Eligibility & Guidelines
- Attend at least one of the free SCORE business education workshops listed below under Resources.
- Include a non-refundable application fee of $50.00.
- Application deadline will be September 23, 2022 at 4:00 p.m.
If you have any questions about Adult Pitch application, contact Katie Bronson at email@example.com 315-946-5920.
RESOURCES FOR ADULT PITCH APPLICANTS
1. SCORE Workshops will again be available and free to all participants. These workshops will be scheduled starting in July 2022 and all applicants are required to complete at least one workshop of your choice before submitting your Adult Pitch application. Workshops will be available via Zoom and in person. Please contact Katie Bronson at firstname.lastname@example.org to register for these upcoming workshops.
2. SCORE Mentors For more information on the SCORE organization or for a private consultation with a SCORE mentor, view the SCORE mentoring website.
3. The New York Small Business Development Center (NYSBDC) provides small business owners and entrepreneurs in New York with one-on-one business counseling, training, and business research. All advisement is free and confidential. For more information visit the New York Small Business Development Center website and start by making an appointment with a Certified Business Advisor.
Microburst Grant and Loan Program
This program has been updated as of March 14, 2022. It was created to provide a grant for local small business startup projects. It is an opportunity to give your new business a financial boost. Every application will be reviewed for completeness and sustainability by staff and a loan review committee. The reimbursable grant funding can range from $5,000 to $20,000. If additional funding is needed, loans can also be employed (call the office for more information).
Microburst applicants must review and adhere to these following items:
RESOURCES FROM OUR PARTNERS
The following five SCORE workshops have been conducted and recorded via Zoom. Microburst applicants must attend all five workshops. Please contact Ariel Cardiel for access to recorded sessions.
Each Workshop is approximately one hour, but could be more depending on the content and the discussion between instructor and participants. These instructors are an excellent resource for your new business.
Week 1: Introduction/Expectations, SBA and Business Model Canvas
Week 2: Sales and Marketing
Week 3: Insurance & Banking
Week 4: Accounting
Week 5: Legal
For more information on SCORE organization or for a private consultation with a SCORE mentor, view the SCORE mentoring website
The New York Small Business Development Center (NYSBDC) provides small business owners and entrepreneurs in New York with one-on-one business counseling, training, and business research. All advisement is free and confidential. For more information visit the New York Small Business Development Center website and start by making an appointment with a Certified Business Advisor.
HOW TO APPLY
Complete the required application for any of the programs linked above, and include required documents. If proof of attendance is required for SCORE workshops, please include that documentation with your application. If required, send application fee (payable to WEDC). Payment must be sent by mail or hand-delivered to the address shown here before the deadline.
Mail or Deliver Applications & Documents to:
Wayne Economic Development Corporation
Attn: (Write in name of program)
9 Pearl Street, 2nd Floor
Lyons, NY 14489
Email Submission: If you intend to email a Microburst or Adult Pitch application and documents, all attached file types must be in PDF format under 15 MB total and labeled with your business name. Student Pitch applicants must contact Deb Hall for video submission instructions.
Once an application is received, it will be reviewed for completeness. You will be notified that it was received and if any information is missing. Please refer to FAQ or Guideline documents for further details. We ask for your patience while we carefully go through this process of reviewing and judging projects. Thank you in advance for your interest in Kick Starting your business in Wayne County.