DSS continues to be open to respond to immediate needs and requests for assistance.
Funeral Financial Assistance
Did you pay funeral costs after losing someone due to COVID-19? FEMA may be able to provide financial assistance. For more details, including how to apply, please read this flyer.
Emergency Broadband Benefit
Starting May 12, 2021 the Federal Communications Commission has a new program – the Emergency Broadband Benefit Program (EBBP). This is a temporary program that will end when the fund runs out of money or 6 months after the Department of Health and Human Services declares an end to the COVID-19 health emergency, whichever is sooner. Low income households struggling to afford internet service during the pandemic may be eligible for a $50 or $75 monthly discount for broadband service and a one-time discount of up to $100 for a laptop, desktop computer, or tablet.
View the Emergency Broadband Benefit Handout for information about program eligibility and the steps to apply for the program.
- Any visitors (clients or otherwise) who report to the building must verify their vaccination status either by producing their vaccination card or the Excelsior pass. Failure to provide either will require that they wear a mask at all times in the building.
- All visitors will be required to provide verification at our reception or client window, and will be given a visitors pass that indicates they have been screened. The passes identify them as a visitor and will have an indication that they have been screened.
To help meet the needs of our community:
- We have installed a secure lock box at the main entrance to our facility so that applicants or active recipients can drop off essential documentation
- We will check this drop box regularly to assure that your documents and your case receive prompt attention
- We are providing special instructions (PDF) for the types of assistance you may need due to the current State of Emergency
- Additionally, applications for assistance can be submitted by email
- Persons with general questions or questions regarding their case are encouraged to contact the agency at 315-946-4881
Thank you for your patience.
Special SNAP benefit allocations (PDF) are being provided during April.
The mission of the Wayne County Department of Social Services is:
- To serve the Wayne County community with dignity, empathy and efficiency
- To respond to those with financial needs while promoting their self-sufficiency
- To ensure the safety and healthy development of children and vulnerable adults
- To sustain family relationships through support and recognition of families' resiliency, inherent strengths and capacity to change
- To partner with our community to meet present and future needs of our residents